`
Home | Off the Press | News for youth | Media | Get In Touch |

Friday, March 4, 2011

My Declaration of Self Esteem

by Virginia Satir

I AM ME
In all the world, there is no one else exactly like me
Everything that comes out of me is authentically me
Because I alone chose it - I own everything about me
My body, my feelings, my mouth, my voice, all my actions,
Whether they be to others or to myself
I own my fantasies, My dreams, my hopes, my fears
I own all my triumphs and successes,
all my failures and mistakes
Because I own all of Me, I can become intimately acquainted with me
by so doing I can love me and be friendly with me in all my parts
I know there are aspects about myself that puzzle me,
and other aspects that I do not know
but as long as I am friendly and loving to myself,
I can courageously and hopefully look for solutions to the puzzles
And for ways to find out more about me
However I Look and sound, whatever I say and do, and whatever
I think and feel at a given moment in time
is authentically Me
If later some parts of how I looked, sounded, thought and felt turn out to be unfitting,
I can discard that which is unfitting,
keep the rest, and invent something new for that which I discarded
I can see, hear, feel, think, say, and do
I have the tools to survive, to be close to others, to be productive,
to make sense and order out of the world of people and things outside of me
I own me, and therefore I can engineer me
I am me and I AM OKAY


© Virginia Satir, 1975.

2 comments:

  1. wooh how i wish all people out there knew this!i love me,respect me because we all need nobody's body to be somebody!surely the most important person in my life is myself.to all empowered divas belief in yourself for us to believe in you.wooh what an eye opener!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this Wambui-Believe in yourself to have others believe in you!!!!

    ReplyDelete