`
Home | Off the Press | News for youth | Media | Get In Touch |

Friday, January 31, 2014

My Atlas Journey


I am many things. One thing I am particularly known for is my passion to explore and my desire to see new things, places, eat new foods and to share different experiences. Sometimes it’s hard to balance all these passions with pressing realities but one must make the decision objectively and after considering all relevant consequences.
A week or two before my embassy appointment, I received a letter which I had been waiting for; for close to a year- my admission letter to the bar school in Kenya. I was at cross-roads between choosing to travel 8525.99 miles which is literally across the world to experience a new culture and to train in a field which I had limited skills in or to finally get over the last hurdle of being a licensed advocate which has been a long dream coming...
Truth be told, the American Embassy is not the friendliest consulate I have ever been to. The glass and microphones are a tad bit intimidating even for this lawyer. I did manage to convince the stern officer of the nature and purpose of my visit and I was issued with my visa. It was not until this point in time that I had a serious reality check and I knew what I had to do…
Saturday, January 11th 2014 was a remarkably cold day in Washington DC….well maybe not, but I guess my body was going through shock after having spent a week prior to that with my family in the beautiful humid coastal city of Mombasa. My overly energetic sister Shiru had insisted that I visualize and master the art of feeling warm and thinking of the sun and the blissful feeling of the warm rays on my skin…I should have taken this lessons more seriously for sure as the sun is just but a distant dream to me now…..
The Atlas Service Corps started in 2006, and is an international network of nonprofit leaders and organizations that promotes innovation, cooperation, and solutions to address the world's 21st century challenges. Their mission is to address critical social issues by developing leaders, strengthening organizations, and promoting innovation through an overseas fellowship of skilled nonprofit professionals. Atlas Corps engages leaders committed to the nonprofit sector in a 12 to 18 month, professional fellowships at organizations to learn best practices, build organizational capacity, and return home to create a network of global change makers.
Current Atlas Corps Fellows at the long fellow statue in DC.

I am humbled and excited to be serving at the Nike Foundation under the girl-effect program. Having a passion for girls, the skills which I have learnt from working with “Sisterhood” as well as other skills which I have obtained from law and working in the civil society in Kenya made this definitely a package I couldn't by pass in this life time.
I love the fact that my passion and career have almost converged and I cannot wait to see what this journey will look like in the next coming months….
 
Awesome Class 14 fellows donning traditional attire  


No comments:

Post a Comment